As a widely publicized matter, the Myanmar Trademark Law 2019 officially took effect on April 1, 2023. Subsequently, on the same day, the Department of Intellectual Property (DIP) issued Announcement No. 1/2023, marking the beginning of the second phase of the Soft Opening Period, which started on April 3, 2023. During this period, applicants were permitted to:
- Re-file applications for registered and used marks.
- Pay the official re-filing fees.
- Physically submit the TM-2 Form (appointment of representatives) at the counters of the DIP offices in Naypyitaw or Yangon, or electronically.
Furthermore, on April 5, 2023, the Myanmar Intellectual Property Department (MIPD) announced that the Grand Opening of the new trademark registration system would occur on April 26, 2023.
As the latest news, MIPD has issued a further announcement dated May 16, 2023, informing the following updates:
- For trademarks re-filed during the Soft Opening period, the deadline for submitting TM-2 forms and paying filing fees has been extended to June 30, 2023. This new deadline replaces the previous one dated May 31, 2023.
- For old marks registered with the registry office under the old law, but not yet re-filed during the soft opening period, it is still possible to re-file them at the IP Department within 06 months from the date of the grand opening period, which is April 26, 2023. This means the deadline for re-filing such marks is extended until October 26, 2023
If you would like to get more details on the required documents for re-filing applications or registering fresh trademarks under the new Myanmar Trademark Law, please feel free to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are always at your disposal.
By Nguyen Hai Yen
Deputy Director of Trademark Department